Monday, January 12, 2009

I <3 HK

Someone once said that Hong Kong is where East meets West. I disagree. I would argue that Hong Kong is a transplant of the West in the East, which happens to be populated by Chinese people. Hong Kong was everything and had everything that Zhuzhou does not. Hong Kong is a place where people are not likely to push an elderly woman out of their way to get on the bus. People don't spit in the bus and on the street, don't encourage their children to use public trash cans as toilets, and didn't stare at my every move. Everything that I missed about living in a western country was wrapped up by the British many years ago and brought to Asia. Including food. I can't express how wonderful it was to increase my meal options 100 fold by traveling a mere 9 hours from Zhuzhou by train. I didn't know a place like this exsisted in China! (Whether or not Hong Kong is actually China is another topic, but we'll go with the official PRC stance for now.)
Don't worry, Hong Kong, I will be back!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    Glad you had a great time in Hong Kong. Sounds like a very interesting place.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete