Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dear Obama

During last semester and the beginning of this one I taught a small class to a group of select English students called English Corner. While this class was the bane of my existence at times, I generally enjoyed working with a group of kids that really wanted to work on their English skills. A few weeks ago I taught them about the structure of a letter and then I had them write one to me. The letters were mainly all the same, telling me their favorite color and asking what mine was. At the end of that class I told them the next week we would be writing letters to President Obama. The students were super pumped! They have heard a lot about Obama through the Chinese media and he is generally liked among Chinese populace.

Unfortunately, by the next week English Corner had been permanently canceled, to be replaced by an even more disorganized "English Club" and we were never able to write our letters to the US President. One student, however, took it upon herself to write a letter in her free time and gave it to me. She asked if I could still send it to him, which I will, but I decided to pass the letter on to you before I do because it is just so darn cute.
Dear Obama,
Hi! I am a lively Chinese girl, and my name is Kacie. It’s a great joy to write to you. Now, let me tell you something about myself.
I’m a thirteen-year-old girl in Junior One. Although my spoken English is not so good, yet I try my best to transtale some sentences. In class, I’ve a very good friend, who is warm-hearted and helpful to the weak. Therefore, I’m very proud of her. Oh, she has a lovely Chinese name as well, Yang Chunzi.
Would you like to know more about myself? Write to me soon, please!
Kacie
While I doubt very much that Obama would write back, I really hope that my students might get a form letter back from the White House. I’m waiting a few days to see if any other students write letters and then I’ll send theirs and Kacie’s to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. hoping to receive something as soon as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Very unique blog.
    Fantastic pictures.
    I like your blog.

    Please visit:
    http://heaven-view.blogspot.com

    Keep blogging.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    I did enjoy the letter to Obama. It would be nice if you received a letter back for the students to enjoy. Good luck!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete