Thursday, February 12, 2009

Careful When Using the Crosswalk

During the past several months Zhuzhou City has been on a campaign to curb (pun intended) jay walkers. There are elderly crossing-guards posted on every corner poised to give you a 20 RMB (about $3.00) ticket for crossing the street where you shouldn't. I've been complaining about how ridiculous I thought this was because the crusade is not coupled with the requirement that drivers in turn respect the crosswalk (or follow any traffic laws at all it seems). Today that fateful day arrived; the day I was proven correct. On my way to school today I heard the sound of screeching tires come to a stop and saw everyone on the bus stand up to look at a women on the ground in front of a taxi in the middle of a crosswalk. I'm glad to see these new laws are protecting the citizens of Zhuzhou. Oh, China!

No comments:

Post a Comment