Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Roller-skating, Chinese Style


When I was younger one thing I really loved to do with my family and friends was to go roller-skating at the Castle Roller Rink. Not only is the façade of the building “super cool,” but also many hours of pure fun were spent inside. I always preferred to rent the skates rather than bring my own from home, because the rented ones rolled much smoother over the bright blue rink.

So when my friend Tiffany suggested that we go roller skating here in Zhuzhou as a part of her birthday celebration, I was definitely in support of the idea. Following a wonderful Italian dinner, a group of eight of my American friends headed over to the roller skating rink, which is located above an open air market. After paying 5 kuai ($0.74) for our entrance and skate rental fee, I received a pair of skates that surely would have been retired from use many years ago at the Castle. Let’s just say I did take a moment to think about how bad it would be should the wheels decide to fall off my skates at sometime during the night. This was the one time that I wish I could have brought my own skates from home. We all know that was possible, so I bravely strapped on the skates and made my way onto the rink. The floor appeared to be a smooth wooden planked surface, but as many things in China, looks can be deceiving. When I skated with the grain of the wood, it was quite smooth. Skating against the grain of the wood was a different story. This was just the first of many things that reminded me I was not at the Castle and not in the US.

I haven’t been to the Castle in many years, but I remember that they have a large poster displaying about 10 rules near the entrance door. Although I can’t recall every one and I surely don’t remember the exact phrasing of the posted rules at the Castle, the rules below capture their general objectives.

1. No smoking while skating.
2. No skating against the flow of the other skaters.
3. If you fall down, stand up and continue to skating as soon as possible.
4. No skating in an unsafe manner.
5. No littering on the rink floor.

Let’s just suffice it to say that the Chinese skaters didn’t feel the need to follow any of the above rules. Skating with a lit cigarette was not uncommon. While about 75% of the skaters were skating in a counter-clockwise direction, 25% felt compelled to skate in the opposite direction. Following an accident (I admit it, I personally caused at least 2 of these said skating accidents), the involved parties would stay seated on the floor for up to several minutes until they decided to stand up again. Skating at high speeds, forwards or backwards, and many other skating tricks of questionable safety could be seen all over the rink. Extinguished cigarette butts, betel nuts, and empty snack wrappers littered the floor. The Castle owners would not have been happy with the situation at all.

How did I moderately safely navigate this mess of a skating rink you ask yourself? Well, here’s your answer. On every trip I’ve taken in China, a random Chinese person has come up to my party and asked us, “Can I be your guide?” The Chinese love to offer themselves out as guides. Occasionally they are professional guides. More often, however, they are locals who would like to take the opportunity to guide us around as a way to practice English. The skating rink was no different, though in this case they didn’t ask. After an introductory three laps, two Chinese college students came by and grabbed my hands. For the next hour or so, they lead me around the floor, helping me avoid many a catastrophe and teaching me the ways of the Chinese roller rink. I’m quite certain I would have fallen many more times had I not had the help of my “guides.”

Once again, I entered a situation thinking that I had some idea of what was going to happen. I thought I knew what it means to go to the skating rink. And as it happens so often in China, I’m was proven wrong. I had no idea what I was in for. The Chinese needed guide me, to help me do things their way. I’m just glad they’re willing to do so, at the skating rink and in everyday life. If the Chinese were not so willing to help a poor foreigner out, my stay in China would likely be far less enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    You always seem to make new friends no matter what you are doing. You have found out that the Chinese people are so friendly. How can we encourage the Americans to be more like the Chinese?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahsley,

    I am going to try again to send a comment. I am rather illiterate when it comes to blogs and such.

    Just wanted to let you know that I have been following your blog and enjoying it very much.

    I miss seeing you around and I guess Raven will get to eat your share of the turkey this year.

    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    I enjoy reading about your adventures and the skating experience was no different. I think it is great that you aren't afraid to travel and try things. Take care!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete