Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Getting to the "Big" City

Imagine it. You’re living in a small town in the Hunan countryside and you want to get to the larger city of Zhangjiajie. You don’t have access to a car or a motorbike and it’s far too far to walk or ride a bicycle. As your town is more like a village than a real town, it isn’t large enough to warrant a train or bus station, or for that matter even a bus stop. So, how are you going to get to the “big” city?

As always, I’m here to help you out. There is a quick and easy solution to your problem; one that is used by many villagers all across China. Go out to your local freeway and wait along side the road until a bus going the direction you’d like to travel in come by and flag it down.

Can’t imagine doing something like this? Neither can I and I witnessed it first hand. During the 5 hour bus ride I took this past weekend from Zhuzhou to Zhangjiajie the bus stopped numerous times to pick up more passengers. At one point I went to sleep and the bus was perhaps half full. I woke up about an hour later and the bus was so full that people were sitting in the isle on small plastic stools. Although I’m sure these people know the bus schedule and thus are more than likely only waiting a short amount of time, I don’t think it would be all that enjoyable to wait along side of a busy freeway in the hopes that the bus will stop for you. People got on the bus all along the journey carrying precious cargo ranging from a live chicken to huge plastic bags filled with who knows what. Often there were no longer free seats and, as I mentioned before, the newcomers were forced to sit in the isle regardless of the fact that they were carrying a tiny, crying baby or were rather elderly. It seems that the rule on city busses that seats be given up to the aged, pregnant, handicapped, and passengers with small children doesn’t apply to long-distance busses. It seemed that the disregard for this rule was hard and fast. Even when I tried to give my seat up to a woman who couldn’t be much older than I am who was trying to breastfeed her baby while perched precariously on a case of water in the middle of the isle, her family told me that she didn’t need it. Can’t imagine that either.

Part of me feels lucky that Zhuzhou is a city of over 4 million people, and thus warrants a train station, as well as multiple bus stations. The other part of me feels like I’m missing out on an interesting Chinese experience. Ok, maybe I don’t feel all that bad about it.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    I am very proud that you would give up your seat to a nursing mother or an elderly person. You are a good girl. Please don't try the Chinese custom of standing by the side waiting for a ride. Be safe instead.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete