Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Teacher's Day!

Today is a very important day in the life of every Chinese teacher: Teacher’s Day. Teacher’s Day is an ancient Chinese tradition that honors the work of teachers every September 10th. I guess the equivalent in America would be Teacher’s Appreciation Day, but in name only. This day was more like Christmas than a Teacher’s Appreciation Day in the US that most students are completely ignorant of. Every student that crossed my path in the hall changed their greeting from the everyday “Lǎoshī hǎo” (Hello teacher) to “Happy Teacher’s Day!” And at the beginning of each class, the students shouted "Happy Teacher's Day" at the top of their lungs. Just imgaine 65 little ones screaming like they just saw Justin Timberlake and you'll get the idea. It actually began to hurt my ears the fourth time around. When it comes to gifts, I really made out like bandit. I received over 15 cards, two carnations, some type of candied Chinese fruit on a stick, a bouquet of fake flowers, a key chain, a lollypop and a Chinese knot. I never expected this type of out pouring of affection. It really made me feel appreciated by the students! So, on May 6th, show all the US teachers you know a Chinese-style Teacher’s Day. They’ll never see it coming! :)

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    It was very nice that they showed their appreciation for you. I bet it was fun hearing their wishes and getting their gifts. I bet you can't wait for all the other surprises awaiting you in the coming months.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO going to introduce this in German schools!

    Sounds like your students like you ;) - which was to be expected

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Sounds fantastic...just let the students know that you appreciated it...didn't it invigorate you? I can only speak for myself, but as I get older, and meet former students, I don't get groups telling me they appreciated what I did...but one by one, when they see me....It's like winning the Academy Award....so hang in there...sounds like you're doing a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete