Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Some call it Chinglish, others Engrish

Life is really settling down in Changsha. Well, as settled as it can be when you live in a hotel. Our days have been filled with forums on life and teaching in China, Chinese classes, and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) classes. The forums and classes are interesting, but are getting to be a little much. I think everyone is beginning to feel really run down after a week of almost no breaks. Tomorrow morning we have Chinese government health checks, so that will be a break from the routine. And I’m sure it will provide me with more than a few interesting stories to share with you all.

I’m getting used to how things run in China, even if I can barely communicate with the locals. I’ve begun to really wish I had studied Chinese more seriously before arriving. As a group, we’ve really been relying on the people who speak more Chinese. Once I move to my site in a few weeks that will no longer be an option. I’m pretty sure than the four of us in the Advanced Beginner class will be the most advanced Chinese speakers of the group in Zhuzhou, which isn’t saying much. In a way I’m kind of looking forward to the move. Because I will really have to rely on myself to communicate with the locals, I think my Chinese will really improve… or I’ll starve. We’ll just have to see. It’s funny when I imagine conversing with the other teachers at my school. I always picture us having a wonderful conversation without any language barriers… that is until I realize that in my mind we’re speaking German. Unfortunately, I think you could probably count the number of German speaking people in Zhuzhou on one hand, probably more like one finger. Me. I’m sure things will get easier with time. That’s how it worked when I was in Germany the first time, and that’s how it’ll have to work this time around.

The more time I spend in China, the more I realize how important English teachers are. One quick look at the cover of my new Chinese class notebooks shows the need for quality English teachers. “Sweet and New Topic. Give surprise everyday maybe sweet maybe mild, but we must learn to be happy. The most comfortable method of life is to live with the people you love, to be pertato couches, talk together,watchTVtogather and Enjoy each other. Do you like qimei notebook contain the best ruled foolscap suitable for writing.” I hope you have gleaned some information from all that. It took me a little, but I think I got the whole thing. This sign posted at the Changsha Number 1 Middle School is another example of the wonderful English the Chinese people read everyday without realizing how ridiculous it is. And this is posted at a school! (Sorry if it's a little hard to read. The sign is made out of a reflective metal, as you can see. It says, "Love your life Look out for fires.") It is also interesting to note that Changsha Number 1 Middle School is located in the heart of Changsha, a city of over 6 million people, not a forest. Who knows what they were thinking. I'm sure the characters would give us some insight on that. Perhaps I’ll use all of this crazy English in one of my lessons.

I think that’s about all I have to report right now. I’ll let you know how the health check goes. I hope you’re getting excited for the Olympics! Only a little more than 46 hours till the Opening Ceremony! Let’s hope everything goes as planned.

欧雅丽
(Ou Yali: my Chinese name)

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    Thanks for the wonderful post. I was anxiously waiting an update. It sounds like you are learning so much. Bryce and I were watching a children's program this morning called Ni Hao. It is about a little girl and other characters. They talk in Chinese and translate into English. They were teaching numbers today. You would have learned much from watching this show. Have a great day!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    We’ve been thinking about you since you left. I enjoy reading your blogs and hearing about your adventures. I just saw your Mom and Bryce at music lessons tonight. We gave them a few goodies which your mom will see you get later. The weather here has been hot but probably not as hot as you are experiencing. We can’t wait until the Olympics begin! Samantha Brown had a special on for three evenings sharing Xi’an and Beijing. Whew! She had tons of clothes along.
    Have fun!
    Love,
    Emily and parents

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey it sounds like you are getting though it. So was it as bad as you thought?
    Evan

    ReplyDelete