Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Chew of Hunan

Photobucket

During the first week of orientation in China we were sent on a scavenger hunt all around Changsha. Armed with one group member who spoke Chinese, 100 RMB, and a list of items to find, we were let loose on the unsuspecting public. There were many things on the list that were easy to find: a Chinese flag, a Chinese knot, Beisha beer, KFC ketchup, a picture of a younger Mao, and a business card. There was, however, one thing on the list that no one in my group had the slightest idea what it was. It was something called a betel nut. We searched high and low to find that stupid nut. We tried to translate it into Chinese. We asked countless bystanders if they knew what it was. In the end of the game, we never did find out what a betel nut was.

Now, over nine months since that fateful day, I can barely imagine a time when I didn’t instantly recognize the look and smell of the betel nut. Also called the areca nut, the betel nut is chewed daily by any self-respecting Hunanese male. The nuts are harvested from the areca tree in the tropical pacific, packaged, and sold in large quantities in Taiwan, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Hunan. Oddly enough though, it is rare for betel nut to be found in any other Chinese city out side of Hunan and Taiwan.

The nuts are chewed for their effects as a mild stimulant, causing a hot sensation in the body and slightly heightened alertness. Like chew, betel nut is a carcinogen, which releases its drug through the walls of the mouth. According to Wikipedia, the effect of chewing betel nut is relatively mild and could be compared to drinking a cup of coffee. Betel nuts have created an entire generation of people who have ruined their teeth and gums.

I’m not sure what got into me a few days ago, but I decided to try a betel nut for myself. I figured that since it’s only chewed in this area of China, I will likely never live in a place that chews the nut again. And being relatively exotic, I guess I though it would make a good story. I had heard that the nut was minty and “not delicious,” and I’d have to agree. Though I gave it a good go, I was unsuccessful at chewing the nut to it’s fullest extent due my gag reflex getting in the way. I’m not sad that I tried it, but I’m certain that I’ll never need to do it again.

If you, like me, are interested in trying a betel nut for yourself, let me know and I’ll bring a pack back to America. They are an uncontrolled substance in the states and can be purchased at many Asian grocery stores if you can’t wait that long or mine get taken away by Customs officials.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    It sounds like trying a betel nut was an experience worth missing. But now you can at least say you tried it. Oh, the things you do girl.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete