Monday, September 15, 2008

How many clueless Americans does it take to make a Chinese variety show hilarious? One. Me.

Little did I know that shortly after writing that last entry my Teacher’s Day would get even more exciting. After school, all the teachers got on a private bus and traveled to a local restaurant for a banquet. It is a Chinese custom to toast anyone and everyone at a Chinese banquet. In the past, Kelly and I remained on the receiving end of toasts do to a combination of nervousness and the language barrier. At this banquet, I felt like the time had come to make my first Chinese toast. So following a quick Chinese lesson, Kelly and I went over to toast the school “leaders” and wish them a Happy Teacher’s Day. I’m happy to report that they toast went well and other teachers even complimented us on our bravery.

Following dinner, we all went to the theater. Upon our arrival we were given show tickets that said “Merry Christmas.” We entered the theater and after other teachers were ushered off the VIP couch saved for Kelly and my use, we found jack-o-lantern candle holders on the table. Apparently the Zhuzhou Theater likes American holidays. There was some preshow music playing when we got there and since we were in a jolly mood, some of us started to dance. The next thing I know, the other teachers were encouraging me to get onto the stage to dance. I have no idea what we were thinking, but Kelly, Amy, I, and some other teachers got onto the theater’s stage and danced until the show started.

Later in the show, following a few gentlemen’s club like acts, the MC called for two volunteers to come onto the stage. As soon as I realized that he was looking for some volunteers I felt myself being pulled up to my feet by my liaison, Amy, and the next second I was on stage. At this point I had no idea what he was going to ask me to do. It turns out that I was supposed to reenact a famous scene in Chinese history. A actress came on stage to demonstrate what we were supposed to say and do. One of my teacher friends, Fiona, played the female role first and then I was up. I won’t describe what a fool I looked like, I’ll let you watch it for yourself. Apparently I was supposed to act strong and defiant, which is definitely what I was going for, though I think it just makes me look stupid. Oh well.


For my troubles, I got a huge, stuffed dog to take home with me. He's currently sitting in my office, guarding my computer when I'm away. Who know's what I'll do with him in the future.

I hope you enjoyed the video as much as my fellow teachers enjoyed the show as it was happening. Look out for a post about my trip to Fenghuang and Dehang in the next few days! :)


Ashley

5 comments:

  1. *lol*
    Look at it from the positive side:
    you made sure everyone had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley don't tell me you are going into acting now. Couldn't you have yelled at the man in German. Also your mother does not like you playing with guns. You better get back to teaching instead of entertaining the troups.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Your blog is wonderful and I am so excited to learn about all of your adventures! Keep um' coming!
    Your "cousin-in-law" Oceanna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! I agree with annesilke, and I'm sure everyone DID have a great time. You are certainly helping to build good relationships with Chinese people. Keep up the great work! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did this not happen while we were in Austria! I always miss out on all the fun! Oh, and I especially enjoyed the little hand clapper things that the audience members used to cheer you on.

    - Sean

    ReplyDelete